HMAS VOYAGER All Crews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014

Go down

Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014 Empty Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014

Post by Admin Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:22

Hi All,

I will be attempting to add information to this website covering all planned reunions and services for HMAS Voyager for the weekend covering the period 7th - 10th February 2014.

More specifically I will also bulk email the information to all Voyagers and families I have in my address book (Note that many have changed email accounts BUT have not remembered to email those changes to me so if you are one in this category then please email me withe changes both email and postal inc. Tel #
Services and Reunions are likely to be held at the following places and as further details come to hand I will be posting them on the Website and in this forum.

Huskisson (Jervis Bay) will be the main reunion run by the Survivors Association Committee.
Please view/download the attached pdf for information and booking form.
If you are unable to view/download the pdf from here then visit the FESR website forum "reunions" http://www.fesrnavy.asn.au
and download the pdf from there.

Huskisson has limited motel accommodation available in the immediate area so early bookings are advisable.

About 35K's away is Nowra and Bomaderry with a lot of accommodation and many of them reasonable in prices but you would need a Hire Vehicle to get around from there.

In Perth a small reunion service gathering will take place at the Voyager seat in Kings Park on the 10th at this stage as many of the WA people will try to make it to the Huskisson reunion.

In Brisbane a large service will be held on the Sunday (9th) at the Navy Church, St Marys Anglican Church, Kangaroo Point.

I do expect to hear form the guys around Woy Woy area as I am sure they will plan something to be held in the Jonathan Rogers Voyager Memorial Park.

Sydney will very likely be holding a Memorial Service at the ANZAC Memorial but the date in Feb 2014 is to be arranged.

If anyone has details for services or reunions please add them to this forum if you are a registered user otherwise please send info to me and I will post it here on your behalf.

That's it for now but rest assured I will be adding information and emailing it as soon as I get it.

Les
Webmaster
Attachments
Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014 Attachment
Husky Reunion 2014.pdf Huskisson Reunion Information and booking formYou don't have permission to download attachments.(1.1 Mb) Downloaded 2 times

Last edited by Admin on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 01:09; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated entry on Sydney service)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-01-10

https://voyager.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014 Empty Added a Huskisson Information and booking form pdf file

Post by Admin Mon 06 May 2013, 14:05

An Information and booking form pdf file has been added to the first entry.

Les
Webmaster
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014 Empty Re: Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014

Post by Admin Thu 16 May 2013, 09:52

Shipmates and friends. I have just been informed by George (Bluey) Ducker, of the following:
Bluey got a phone call from the Naval Events Section and they wanted to give us the heads up regarding a Hobby Cat Regatta being held at Huskisson over a 15 day period from the 31/1/2014 through to 15/2/2014 so accommodation for the weekend of the HMAS Voyager Reunion at Huskisson over the 7/2/2014 to 10/2/2014 will I imagine be at a premium.. So if you haven’t booked your accommodation as yet I would strongly suggest you do so quickly if you are planning to attend the Reunion.

Les Sheehan
Webmaster
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014 Empty Re: Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014

Post by Admin Mon 09 Sep 2013, 03:57

Ship availability for the Voyager Reunion in Huskisson Feb 2014 has not been confirmed as yet but will possibly be the RAN ship HMAS Choules (formerly HMS Largs Bay).

Persons wanting to register to go out to the Voyager position on Monday 10th February 2014 on the ship should contact George (Bluey) Ducker. Please be aware that preferences for this is given in order to the following:
Quote from George Ducker
"at this point of time we
are trying to ascertain numbers so we can let the navy know.. If there are
to many starters we will have to cull unfortunately and as you can
appreciate.. priority will go to Next of kin of those lost and survivors"
end quote.

Les
Webmaster
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 20 Oct 2013, 13:38

As posted on the HMAS Voyager Survivors Website

29th April, 2013

Dear Shipmates, Families and Friends.

Plans are now in place for our 50th Anniversary reunion to be held in Huskisson NSW on the weekend 7th – 10th February, 2014. If you have not already booked your accommodation please do so now as it is a busy weekend and accommodation is limited. There is a lot of accommodation available through the estate agents.

Friday evening will be meet and greet, briefing on the week-end activities and will be at Huskisson RSL Club which is in Owen Street. Drinks will be at guest’s own expense, Bistro will be open for those requiring a meal. I suggest you get there early as the raffle is on Friday evenings and it gets very crowded.

Due to the number of people expressing interest in attending the weekend it would be impossible to organise coaches for a trip on Saturday so this will be a free day for you to arrange your own activities.

The dinner will be held on Saturday evening at the RSL and will be a three course meal. Cost of the dinner will be $55.00 per head and drinks will be at quest’s own expense. We are restricted to 300 guests for the dinner so if you plan to attend get your money in early to reserve a booking. Dress for the evening will be smart casual.

A memorial Service will be held in the chapel at H.M.A.S Creswell on Sunday morning time to be advised. The Ship’s Chaplain will officiate at this service. Dress will be Jacket and Tie with Medals.

A Chinese Smorgasbord Luncheon has been organised for Sunday 9th at 12.30 at Club Husky (Huskisson Bowling Club) cost of the lunch will be $20.00.

We are hoping to get a ship to take families of those lost and Survivors to the site of the accident for a Memorial Service on Monday 10th but to date this has not been confirmed. Further information will be provided at a later date.

A separate Memorial Service will be conducted on Monday 10th in “Voyager Park” at 2045. Voyager Park is at the back of the RSL.

Please RSVP with money ASAP but no later than 17th January, 2014.

The committee work very hard to keep the members in touch with one another so we need your continued support to make this function successful as this could be the last reunion due to the age and health of Survivors. We look forward to seeing you at Huskisson in 2014.

Yours faithfully,

Brenda Hannay
Reunion Co-Ordinator

===
The above is a copy of the information posted on the HMAS Voyager Survivors Website

Les Sheehan
Webmaster
===
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 08 Nov 2013, 04:36

HMAS VOYAGER MEMORIAL SERVICE.....Sydney 5th Feb 2014

HMAS Voyager Survivors will be holding a 50th Anniversary Memorial Service at the Hyde Park Anzac Memorial on the 5th of Feb 2014- 10.30 for 11am. All Welcome.

Enquiries to Peter Howis [02]46267837 or 0427411875.

Les Sheehan
Admin/Webmaster

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 21 Nov 2013, 06:06

The following message has been received from George (Bluey) Ducker 21/11/2013

"Hi
Just to bring you up to date, the navy has allocated for 200 Next of
Kin and Survivors to be taken out over the site on the 10.2.14.. They have
once again stated that they will not take anyone who has mobility problems
out and everyone will have to sign a medical release stating that fact. If
necessary the Navy will conduct on the spot Medical Checks prior to
boarding.
As the requests to go are still rolling in there still may have to
be some culling as we have nearly reached our 200 spots. They will not take
anyone under the age of 12 out due to safety reason and the non-availability
of junior life jackets.
A full list of those going out will be fwd shortly to the Navy who I
believe are going to send out personal invitations to everyone going.
Will keep you posted as to how things are progressing

Cheers Bluey Ducker"

Update added by Les Sheehan
Webmaster

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 02 Dec 2013, 05:10

The following email was received this morning (2/12/2013) re the Voyager Memorial Service being held on board HMAS Vampire

Les Sheehan
Webmaster
==========
"Dear Chris and Les

As previously discussed the Australian National Maritime Museum has committed to a memorial service on the evening of 10 Feb 2014 which will be the 50th Anniversary of loss of HMAS Voyager. A brief outline of the service is given below

Start 8:30 pm
Introduction and Opening Prayer
Welcome – Outline of the ceremony
A suitable reading or description of the events of the evening
0850pm Two Minutes Silence at the time of the collision
Eulogy to Voyager – Read over the ten minutes it took the bow section to sink taking most of the 82 casualties to their grave
Wreath laying by
Governor of NSW (Possible)
NSW Minister for Vet Affairs
RAN Representative
RSL
Naval Association
Possible Federal Government Representative

Closing Remarks by the Minister
Closing Prayers and Benediction
HMAS VAMPIRE will be open to allow personal floral tributes to be tossed from her decks. (To be Confirmed)
Drinks in the Museum Café for guests
Close Museum by 1030pm

I’ll flesh out the order of service with The Reverend Robert Durbin who sailed in HMAS DUCHESS, the replacement ship for Voyager and put together a guest list in conjunction with the Voyager Association, RSL and Naval Association. The area planned for use will hold 150 guests and the Bow of Vampire will be the backdrop of the ceremony.

Can you give me an idea on the guests you think we should have? I think obviously Voyager Survivors and those involved in the rescue efforts will have priority followed by Voyager vets then naval vets from the period. I note that Voyager Survivors are having a weekend function in Jervis bay with a service over the wreck on Monday but there may be some who can’t make it and might like a Sydney service. I suspect we will need to reserve 30 seats for dignitaries but I want the ceremony to be essentially by sailors for sailors.

Chris, can you give me a good contact in the Naval Association?

Also the ANMM would like to brief Chris on the plans to build a Warship Pavilion adjacent to HMAS VAMPIRE particularly as this building could be a centrepiece of many of the Sydney Ceremonies for 1914-18 Centenary Celebrations. The building is planned to be open in 2015. To that end could you contact Michael Harvey, Assistant Director - Audience, Outreach and Exhibitions on 0418 119 473.

The Museum is committed to this ceremony but I’ll be seeking assistance to cover the cost of the after service refreshments, any guidance or help in this area will be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Colthorpe, BEng(Mar) with Honours

LCDR RANR
02 9801 7310
0434 673 101
lapcol~~AT~~optusnet.com.au (Replace the ~~AT~~ with @ to send an email)"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Voyager Reunions and Services Feb 2014 Empty WA Memorail Service 2014

Post by Admin Wed 05 Feb 2014, 08:04

A late but very welcome Memorial Service has been arranged to be held at the Voyager seat in Kings Park, Perth.

The sister (Ethel) of a HMAS Voyager non-survivor (Jack Sparrowhawk) has been very busy attempting to get some form of Memorial Service organised and with some assistance via emails and Web we are glad to say it will take place on Monday 10th Feb starting 10:30am

Ethel arranged to have the HMAS Voyager banner collected from David MacLean for the day so now a 50th Anniversary Memorial Service will take place after much worry at possible missing out altogether.

The same Padre as previous years will lead the Service
Time: 10:30am

All are welcome to attend and serving and ex service persons are requested to wear medals.

I trust all attending will have a very memorable day.

Les Sheehan
Webmaster
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down